In 1998 the idea of a community based childcare facility in Charles City was a dream held by leaders in economic development and education. These leaders identified the need for an affordable and quality community center to support positive youth development.
A building was located that would make a suitable site for a family resource center which would include TLC, Head Start and Area Education Agency 267 Satellite Support Office. Extensive renovations were made to the building, and TLC opened the doors in May 2001.
More than 1200 area children have been served at TLC since its inception.
The TLC Board of Directors is comprised of community leaders and former parents of children that attended TLC.